Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Holy Hades, Batman!

Just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any hotter or more miserable, it goes and gets even hotter and more miserable. I'm seriously contemplating setting up a kiddie pool in my living room!

Last night dinner was very simple, a quickly grilled steak, couscous pilaf and some sauteed veggies. Tonight I couldn't even handle that, wound up making hot dogs for dinner, ugh, I'll be tasting those for days to come, yucky!

I am still having so much trouble keeping basic ingredients in the house, between my crazy work schedule and having no time to shop, and my crazy offensive lineman 14 year old who would eat a block of cheese or drink a gallon of milk if left alone with it for any time. Again tonight I was rushing to the grocery store to shop 10 minutes before it closed. Making the meal plan is the easy part for me, getting to the store, finding everything I need, and having it all fit in my budget, that's my biggest problem right now.

Tomorrow night's dinner plan will be Farmer Sausage, Cabbage and Apples baked in the crock pot, with perogies cooked up fresh after football practice. Thursday night's dinner will be the Lentil Soup that I made a few weeks ago with rice and chorizo sausage that O loved so much. If I wind up actually making these, I will post the recipes. It's supposed to cool off tomorrow for a few days, but if it stays this hot, neither of us will want to eat anything hot, so I'll have to rethink my plan, again. I'm hoping it cools off enough to bake up some muffins to freeze, as well. It's been so long since I've had some fresh, homemade baking, and paying $1.75 for a muffin at the organic bakery up the street just feels crazy, especially when I know I can make them better for cheaper. I'd like to experiment with some carrot-apple muffins with sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and maybe a good lemon-blueberry muffin.

No comments: