Monday, September 3, 2007

Baking for the week

I will need to bake bread at least every other day this week, starting tomorrow. I would like to experiment with a new loaf, after 4 or 5 years, I'm finally getting tired of the Semolina Country Bread that's been our staple loaf.

I have white, whole wheat and semolina flour, as well as a little bit of specialty flours, though don't know how old they are, and they might not be usable, as well as all the whole grains and cereals in the freezer that I really need to get rid of. And O announced at dinner today that he really, REALLY loves grains, any grain, and will gladly eat it by the huge bowl full. Coming from a kid that wouldn't even consent to put a grain of rice in his mouth until he was 10, and only started eating whole grains without complaint this year, that's pretty huge. And a huge relief to my wallet, with the amount of food he's been taking in lately.

I'd like to experiment with a multi-grain/nut/seed bread, something that makes a good, moist, hearty sandwich bread. I'd love to make another batch of Morning Glory muffins, but they were a lot of work for not a lot of return. I'll see if I can hide them better in the freezer so O doesn't eat them all in 2 days. Maybe a loaf of banana bread with all the bananas in the freezer, or a pumpkin loaf, since it feels so much like fall lately.

No comments: